Thursday, June 28, 2007

Glee: Take two, or three

This is the second time I'll have started Glee, well third, if you count that the second time I tried to get gauge in as US 4 then with that still on the needles, started a second skein with a US 5.

US 5 is winning.

Glee is now being knit in a silk merino, the color is called Juniper.

You may remember this yarn when it tried to be the Bonita Shirt.

Two comments from Ravelers about Glee made me laugh:

  1. big slog
  2. it was like watching paint dry

I remember this well - this would be the endless stockinette rounds after the armholes and neck opening are complete.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

don't fall over

when I tell you that I completed a pattern in the yarn that the pattern calls for.

it's only because the first project that I used this yarn for was ripped out.

Pattern: Cropped Raglan Sweater

Yarn: Lion Brand Organic Cotton, Bark, 6 skeins

Needles: Clover Bamboo Circulars US 8 and US 7

Completion time: Maybe four days

Tuesday, June 26, 2007


Pattern: Tulip, Rowan #41

Yarn: Argosy Yarn, 100% Silk, Siena

Needles: Addi Turbos US 4, US 3 and Knit Picks US 2

Changes: Extended length, waist shaping, larger needles used for front and armhole edging

Three projects almost finished

Cloud Bolero

Cropped Raglan Sweater


Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Stitch marker finder

Blogless knitting friend, Joyce, found them at Patternworks!

Sunday, June 17, 2007

looks familiar to me

Just this week I ripped out the page of the wraplondon ad magazine that had this sweater on the page

"I can knit that!" I thought to myself. I pulled out various stitch reference guides and could not find the stitch pattern.
Yesterday Lollyknitting Around posted about her next project from VK Spring/Summer 2004:
Another project to add to my queue!

Friday, June 15, 2007

My very own desert

Pattern: Sahara
Yarn: Ornaghi Filati Floriana, 2.5 skeins
Needles: Addi Turbos US 3 & US 1, Knit Picks Options US 3 and US 1

  • I knit the large size because my gauge was so much smaller.
  • I omitted the diamond stitch pattern and shirt tail hem.
  • I used double moss stitch for all edging.
  • I did cap sleeves. But not as written in the pattern only doing wraps and turns without picking up the wraps and turns, which made me say outloud, "Wha?!"
    I did real short rows (I *heart* short rows).

Thursday, June 14, 2007

I knit daily!

Knitting Daily is live now!
Another great knitting online resource from the people of Interweave Press.
They've posted a pattern that I've had on my someday-to-do list for a long time now, the Super-Simple Wrap Jacket.

Today I ripped out my brown and blue sweater.

One of the first sweaters I ever made - a horrible conglomeration of two different patterns and yarn substitution.
I'm thinking maybe I'll try the wrap jacket in the brown silk merino - see if the yarn is agreeable or not.
The Debbie Bliss light blue Cashmerino Aran might be used for the Cloud Bolero.
A Ravelry knitter mentioned on her projet that it would have been helpful for a chart to be written for this pattern.
I'm wearing Sahara in hopes that my photographer is available for a photo shoot tonight and have started front number one of Tulip. So pretty in silk. I've made it much longer with waist shaping (thanks for the word that escaped me, Sheree!).

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

giving is good

If you love Ravelry as much as I do, you now have a way to show your appreciation!

And here's a FO from last year:

Pattern: Prairie Tunic, Interweave Knits, Spring 2006
Yarn: Jaeger, Siena
Needles: Addi Turbos, US 3
MIL update: Artery is no longer (doctor quoted) "smoking
tight" as it is now equipped with a stent made by the company that my husband
works for and she's going home today.

delayed gift giving

I've been on a cardigan knitting hiatus.
I had a week and a half to knit a surprise sweater for my MIL.

Pattern: March Basic
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton Ease (5 skeins)
Needles: Addi Turbos US 8
May 30- June 7
She requested a light grey, v-neck cardigan that wouldn't be eaten by moths.
It's way too wide, probably not long enough, and I had to do the sleeves two sizes smaller to get them to fit the body of the sweater. It took me four days to knit two sleeves twice.
The day she was supposed to see us, she called to say she was too tired to visit.

She went into the hosiptal the next night. Turns out that she was too tired because the left side of her heart was 90% clogged- and that would be because she has a history of heart disease in her family and has been a smoker for 60 years.

I decided that I didn't really want to reknit the thing, so Dave brought her sweater to her in the hosiptal today.

Sahara is finished, was washed, and is now drying...probably one the best yarn substitutions I've done. It was a great way to use up my stash!
Now I'll be focusing on Tulip from the Spring/Summer Rowan. I started the 34" bust size, but it looked big. Then my friend warned me that all the Rowan patterns are big and to drop down a size and use smaller needles. This pattern doesn't have any waist shaping - so I've knit 4.5 inches and I'm trying to decide if I should alter the pattern and do some decreases. I'm looking at pg 57 and it looks like they've pinned the fronts together to get them to stay together. Hmmmm....