Saturday, March 24, 2007

READ?!

Why do that?

When I can drive myself bonkers and knit and rip and knit and curse and rip and curse and knit and rip. This picture is from a month ago.
On Monday , when I was perusing all of my magazines for the perfect pattern for the green yarn, I stumbled across a VK pattern for a moebius capelet.
Having a tendency for masochism, I decided to pull out the cashmere yarn again and see if I could get a better result with their cast on technique.

I definitely liked the backwards cast on method. The problem came when I needed to knit into the stitches I had cast on. My working yarn was on the other end of the needle. I sat a minute and wondered if maybe I shouldn't be casting on with working yarn (leaving a small tail that is never touched). So I ripped out the cast on stitches and tried again. This allowed me to knit into the cast on stitches and it began to look as it had in the past with stitches on the needle and stitches on the cable below.

So I began to folllow the pattern again. By this time Dave had come home from work. We went to dinner, came back, and both picked up our knitting. {Never thought I'd write those words in my lifetime.} The moebius was starting to look exactly as it had each time before.



And I began to turn it around and around in circles trying to understand why it didn't look like the one in the picture. I have not been able to understand why half of it is stockinette and half of it is reverse stockinette.

Dave said, as he usually does, "Let me look at the instructions."
He looks at them, and then says, as he usually does, "Did you read this?"
Silly man.
Read?!
"...a diagonal becomes a chevron, and that plain knitting creates a “two-lane road” of stockinette and reverse stockinette."
So the good news is that I'm almost done with the moebius. And I think that through my trials and tribulations (or rather my inability to read) I can now be considered an expert at this project.
I think that the chevron part of the diagonals may be off, but I don't care. I'm not ripping it again. The person I'm making this for won't know the difference.
No, I take that back, I do care that the diagonals are off. But I can't tell from the other pictures in the pattern if they are or not.
I just found this blog which has great pictures of her progress and the diagonals match up for the chevron.
I don't know what's more frustrating - that I didn't find this blog before or that my diagonals aren't matching up.
I'm looking at the pictures of the previous attempt and the diagonals match up.
Well.
I need to stop typing and start ripping.

No comments: